Date Night Battle: Netflix vs. Movie Theater
My husband and I don’t get out often. Since becoming parents 3 years ago, we have been out solo maybe 4 times, tops! Soon after my daughter was born last year, my brother in law very kindly offered to watch the kids so we could go on a date. We decided to take him up on his offer and chose to go see a movie, an activity that we always enjoyed pre-kids and did frequently. After 3 years it was a whole new experience. It almost felt like I was going for the first time and seeing it all with new eyes. However, my eyes were not too thrilled with the view. Maybe I’m officially old, but in a date night battle of Netflix vs. Movie Theater, I would have to join team Netflix, here’s why:
· Horny teenagers dressed to kill and doused in obnoxious perfume/cologne can be found in abundance at the movie theater. They make a spectacle of their awkward and over the top PDA in the line for all to “enjoy.” Was I ever really one of these people?
· I rather not smell other people’s greasy food choices while I watch my movie. I don’t want to have to step over their toes when I have to pee either.
· I can watch Netflix on my (semi-comfy) couch in my pajamas. I repeat, in.my.pajamas.
· I’m going to fall asleep within the first 15 minutes anyway, so why don’t we just save the money.
· We’ve missed so many new releases in the last 3 years that the options on Netflix are endless.
· If the movie is going to be interrupted by other people, they might as well be our own offspring.
· I can have good wine and Skinny Pop at home with my movie, instead of an ogre sized Coca Cola and over-salted, overpriced bag of popcorn.
· If the movie is boring I can resort to Facebook stalking without getting stink-eye from strangers.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m dying for a night out and the chance to wear my heels and a nice outfit. But going out means a whole lot of preparation, pumping, making bottles, giving instructions and preparing emergency packs of this or that. Since this is quite the job in itself, the going out better be worth it and I’m just not sure the movie theater makes the cut. It’s funny how our tastes change as we grow “older” (I’m not that old, I swear). But this Mama is team Netflix all the way! What about you? Give us your thoughts and date night ideas in the comments!
If you enjoyed this post take a moment to sign up for updates and announcements from ispeakmom.com,
© Nicola Rios Nogales and ispeakmom.com, 2016. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Nicola Rios Nogales and ispeakmom.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.